Design in quotes, because, like all good plans, it’s only good until I start laying the bits down. So far:
My old VMware lab comprised a number of things:
- 3x “Baby Dragon” compute nodes
- 1x Open Compute Gen1 Intel (dual hexcore, 48GB)
- 1x Iomega ix4-200d
- 1x “FrankenStor” Nexenta box
After the transition, I hope to have the following:
- Baby Dragon Config
- Boot Ubuntu12.04 from USB
- 2x 1TB drives
- Ceph (clustered storage)
- OpenStack Compute
- Open Compute Gen1
- Boot Ubuntu 12.04 from USB
- OpenStack Controller/Compute
- 1x 250GB drive for some local storage
- Left in place as something to try Cinder with… may get torn down also, not 100% sure.
- These drives will get scrapped into the Ceph/compute nodes
The plan currently is to not get too fancy and keep a flat network. However, this will likely evolve into separate networks for storage vs compute/public traffic down the road.
Over the coming weeks I’ll post a bit of progress as I make it through each step.