I am by no means a road warrior, however, I have spent quite a bit of time on the road over the last few years and found a few things to make life a bit easier.
- Light laptop & Tablet combo â€“ If youâ€™re at a conference, you will be walking, a lot. The lighter your gear combo, the better. Personally I travel with an iPad mini and 13â€ retina MacBook
- Good bag â€“ For a while this was an old (2009ish) conference bag. Now-a-days, its a much lighter Colombia bag.
- Backup Batteries â€“ This one: http://www.newtrent.com/store/external-battery/icarrier-imp120d.html It can charge whilst being charged, and will charge my iDevices about 6 times.
- USB Firewall – https://lockedusb.com/ <- These just started shipping. Itâ€™s a little USB â€˜condomâ€™ or firewall of sorts. It will allow you to charge at an optimal rate while keeping the data lines disconnected. Basically, itâ€™s a $14 device that will protect your $500 phone and itâ€™s data.
- Little Snitch â€“ This: http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html < Itâ€™s a harder-core OSX firewall. Worth every penny and then some.
- Sidestep â€“ This: http://chetansurpur.com/projects/sidestep/ < This will redirect all your system traffic over an SSH tunnel. Useful when on an unsecure wireless connection.
- Blogsy â€“ This: http://blogsyapp.com/ < This has been the most useful iOS app for live blogging during an event.
- Windows Live Writer â€“ For the longer posts
- FaceTime / Skype â€“ For seeing the family
Suggestions? Things I missed? Drop a line in the comments.