I am by no means a road warrior, however, I have spent quite a bit of time on the road over the last few years and found a few things to make life a bit easier.
- Light laptop & Tablet combo – If you’re at a conference, you will be walking, a lot. The lighter your gear combo, the better. Personally I travel with an iPad mini and 13” retina MacBook
- Good bag – For a while this was an old (2009ish) conference bag. Now-a-days, its a much lighter Colombia bag.
- Backup Batteries – This one: http://www.newtrent.com/store/external-battery/icarrier-imp120d.html It can charge whilst being charged, and will charge my iDevices about 6 times.
- USB Firewall – https://lockedusb.com/ <- These just started shipping. It’s a little USB ‘condom’ or firewall of sorts. It will allow you to charge at an optimal rate while keeping the data lines disconnected. Basically, it’s a $14 device that will protect your $500 phone and it’s data.
- Little Snitch – This: http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html < It’s a harder-core OSX firewall. Worth every penny and then some.
- Sidestep – This: http://chetansurpur.com/projects/sidestep/ < This will redirect all your system traffic over an SSH tunnel. Useful when on an unsecure wireless connection.
- Blogsy – This: http://blogsyapp.com/ < This has been the most useful iOS app for live blogging during an event.
- Windows Live Writer – For the longer posts
- FaceTime / Skype – For seeing the family
Suggestions? Things I missed? Drop a line in the comments.