Note: This one will feel a bit live-blogish as well. It being written in a hurry and such.
Today’s keynotes had a bit of a different flavor than yesterdays. While there were still user use cases up front, they took a slightly different tone.
There were a few themes that cut across the various keynotes (both the user stories and vendor keynotes):
- OpenStack is huge in China
- 2 of the top 10 cities for ATC are in China
- Hybrid is a thing.
There were two user stories this morning, iQIYI.cn, QiHoo, and Ctrip. All Chinese companies, and doing some things at a super large scale.
The “YouTube of China” iQIYI.cn uses OpenStack
- 8 million concurrent transcodes
- Puppet for deploys, Zabbix for monitoring
- OpenStack powers backend, search, transcode, and the smartphone / tvdvr thing
Top 3 ISP in China, 450 million users.
- 360.cn, browsers, antivirus, desktops, Game Center.
- 15 million files in cloud AV
- Tarball based images
- Instance recycle bin
- Network refactoring
- Horizon improvements
- Folsom based
- Next steps: Move to Havana, Shared storage
China’s biggest travel site
- 40% market share, 234 cities / areas; Largest flight booking, 5000 airports; etc
- 3 DC’s – 20k new members / day
- 200K Calls / days
- Cloud VDI, 1k this year, 13000 next year
Ctrip had an interesting path to OpenStack. One that took them from VMware to CloudStack, and then finally OpenStack.
Truth Happens – RedHat
- Triple O
- No lockin
- Interop NEEDS to happen
- Hybrid cloud is real, interop is real, testing framework == hybrid, two different public providers, 20k deploys / week
- need to work better on continuous deploy, infrastructure, security
- Dont just write plugins, fix core if its not ready
The Rest of the Day
I did a live blog or two covering the remainder of the day. Overall the show has been quite busy.