My home lab vCenter is a self contained Windows 2008 R2 VM, running vCenter 4.1 on SQL Express. Last night, I ran into an issue where the vCenter service would not start, in fact, it was quite angry. Why? Well it seems after 14(ish) days I had hit the 4GB database limit. Here’s the process I followed to clean this up:
- Install SQL Management Studio for SQL Express from here.
- Download the VMware Database Pruning scripts from here.
- Open the scripts from #2 in the tool from #1
- Change the default value from 180 days down to 2.
- Change the delete value from 0 to 1.
- It’ll look like this:
- Hit Execute, that’ll look like this:
- You’ll then want to right click the database and shrink it:
- With that you should be finished.
VMware has a video describing the process:
One thought on “Pruning vCenter 4.1 Database Using SQL Express”
Comments are closed.